Hi, everyone. It's me, Mike. You know. Mike? Yeah, that's me.
I’m filling in for Brianna today*, who couldn't be bothered to live up to the rules of NaBloPoMo which require a person to post every day. Okay, so it doesn't say that person has to do the posting, but let's just infer that so that we can all mock Brianna for a while. Done? No? Okay, I'll wait.
Anyway, she offered me endless gratitude (or something) to pen a post for her today, and being the good friend that I am (see me abuse this privilege already?), I just couldn't help but be helpful.
And do you know why?
Because I'm Canadian.
It's a little known fact that Canadians are nice. I know, you didn't realise that, did you? Sure, we use extraneous vowels and generally avoid the letter "zed" because we're still a constitutional monarchy and we have this latent fear that if we stray from either of those habits, the Queen will come over and hit us with one of her hats, but deep down, we're loveable. It's an even lesser-known fact that Brianna has a cosmic destiny with Canadians. She seems to run into them everywhere. I, personally, believe that somewhere deep in her soul, she's in some way Canadian (don't listen to her when she tells you that's "German", not "Canadian").
So, for the sake of a post, and our international friendship, I present to you the Top 10 reasons Why Brianna Wishes She Was Canadian.
10. Lots and lots of snow.
9. Lots and lots of reasons to drink hot toddies in front of a fire because it's so damn cold outside.
8. Sweaters. [Perhaps this isn't coming from her, exactly, but trust me on this one.]
7. We're exceptionally friendly up here.
6. Cool accents.
5. Her singsongy voice would fit in nicely north of the 49th parallel, and not just in that one corner of California.
4. Finally that whole exchange rate problem has been solved.
3. Blue Rodeo.
2. She secretly wishes she could use more French words in casual conversation.
1. Endless opportunities to wear toques in an array of fashionable colours and styles.
And, for the sake of completeness, the Top 10 Reasons Why She's Probably Glad She Isn't.
10. Celine Dion. [We're sorry. We didn't know it would get so out of hand.]
9. Can't use the whole "international allure" angle on Canadian boys.
8. Low, low wages for smart computer-nerdy people.
7. Horrible, horrible "Mexican" food.
6. Hockey dominates the television on any given night.
5. Still cold even in the summertime.
4. Seriously, what's with all the hockey?
3. Doesn't want to be blamed for all those "nor easters" that hit the eastern seaboard.
2. What do you mean the booze has a 19% surtax on it?!
1. Now that she's of legal drinking age, she'd risk picking up guys who aren't even 21 yet, though still legal in the bars.
So there you have it, folks. Two lists, two countries, 30 days of NaBloPoMo. And if I may say so, I think she's done admirably through the month -- meme-less, lets-review-NaBloPoMo-so-far
*Hey, this is Brianna -- I'm a big follower of the rules so I'll actually be posting my own thing later today but it will suck much much much more than this post.