Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Reading this article: Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock

I found this especially poignant:
“More and more people are saying this has gone too far — the dominance of the evangelical identity by the religious right,” Mr. McLaren said. “You cannot say the word ‘Jesus’ in 2006 without having an awful lot of baggage going along with it. You can’t say the word ‘Christian,’ and you certainly can’t say the word ‘evangelical’ without it now raising connotations and a certain cringe factor in people.

I've heard a bit of mumbling in the conservative media about how Christians are discriminated against and while I'd like to deny that I am anti-Christian I have to admit that when someone describes themselves as Christian I bristle. I think this passage captures a lot of what I feel. The church has aligned itself with the republican agenda and often seems to support conservative politics without asking questions. Somehow this has managed to overshadow the traditional Christian beliefs (I think we can all agree on things like "love thy neighbor"). The church would do well to instill a little more critical thinking in its flock. Of cours critical thinking is a very dangerous tool when dealing with faith. Can Christians learn to question politics without also learning to question church doctrine?

Yes, I know I never update my blog...

2 comments:

themikestand said...

...as opposed to, say....Muslims? No connotation or assumed agenda there!

Brianna said...

good point.. Strangly enough I don't jump to the conclusion that all Muslims supress women's rights and hate america (and freedom!). I think it's because I don't live in a place where I hear a lot of Muslim retoric. Living in the USA you don't have to worry about Muslim's using their religion to pass laws to change you way of life. Sure you have to worry about terrorist attacks but ultimatly that's way less likely then evangelical Christians changing laws.